Register for CoParenting: Two Parents, Two Homes
Thank you for registering! Here is some important information about the class:
- The class is NOT child-friendly. Please have off-site childcare arranged.
- The address for the class is 1327 Grandin Rd SW., Roanoke, 24015. It is in a space called the CoLab. Its a fully handicapped accessible space. When you arrive go all the way to the back the room and up the ramp to the conference room.
- The class will run from 5 to 9pm. It is important that you're there and ready to start right at 5pm in order to receive the certificate. If something comes up, please call me at (540) 384-0297.
- Please bring a photo ID with you.
- I tend to be pretty informal and laid back with my classes. There is very important information that must be covered but I hope that the tone can be conversational.
- Feel free to brings snacks or dinner to eat during the class. Please avoid smelly foods like fish, etc. I can make coffee if anyone wants a cup!
- We'll have a couple of breaks during the class and will end on time, possibly early.
- Upon completion of the class (which includes participation) you will be given a certificate of completion to provide to your referring court, if applicable.
- Refunds are available if requested at least 3 days prior to date of class. If you are unable to attend a class that you have paid for, your registration will be applied to the next available class.
Virginia Code Sections 16.1-278.15 and 20-103, as amended, state that the parties to any petition where a child whose custody, visitation or support is contested shall show proof that they have attended within the 12 months prior to their court appearance or that they shall attend within 45 days thereafter an educational seminar or other like program conducted by a qualified person or organization approved by the court. The court may require the parties to attend such seminar or program in uncontested cases only if the court finds good cause. The seminar or other program shall be a minimum of 4 hours in length and shall address the effects of separation or divorce on children, parenting responsibilities, options for conflict resolution and financial responsibilities. Once a party has completed one educational seminar or other like program, the required completion of additional programs shall be at the court’s discretion. Parties under this section shall include natural or adoptive parents of the child, or any person with a legitimate interest as defined in Section 20-124.1. The fee charged per party for participation in such program shall be based on the party’s ability to pay; however, no fee in excess of $50 may be charged. Whenever possible, before participating in mediation or alternative dispute resolution to address custody, visitation or support, each party shall have attended the educational seminar or other like program. The court may grant an exemption from attendance of such program for good cause shown or if there is no program reasonably available.